UNESCO/UNITWIN Network on Research and Postgraduate Education in Biophysics, Biotechnology and Environmental Health Control (Network)
in collaboration with
Semnan University (SU) and Iran Biology Society (IBS)
the International Virtual Symposium on the Biological, clinical and Basic Science approaches to Covid-19
September 10-11, 2020
In the framework of this symposium Round Table Discussion on the adaptation and increase of the effectivness of the Network in the present situation of Covid-19 was organized.
Following a Roundtable discussion at the end of two days discussions of the International Virtual Symposium on the Biological, Clinical and Basic science approaches to COVID-19 organized by Semnan University (SU) and Iran Biology Society (IBS), on September 10-11, 2020, Prof. Massoud Nasiri, President of Semnan University, Iran, and Prof. Sinerik Ayrapetyan, Chairholder of UNESCO Chair in Life Sciences, Yerevan, Armenia, with coordination of Prof. Hamid Mobasheri, member of the UNESCO/UNITWIN Network, IAP, ISC, and head of Biophysical detection and control committee of the University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, considering different opinions of participants, Prof. Kusal Das (BLDE University, Indian Society of Physiology, India), Prof. Ali Farazmand, on behalf of president of Iranian Biology Society (IBS), Prof. Rob Ewing (Southampton University, UK), Prof. Mary Boghosian (Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center, Armenia), and Prof. Iqbal Alam (Jamia Hamdard University, India), agreed on a number of research and educational activities to be jointly conducted by members of the network and collaborating institutes.
The main remarks raised by the participants:
1. The main challenges concerning the activity of the Network in the situation of COVID-19 Prof. Sinerik Ayrapetyan, Coordinator of the UNENESCO/UNITWIN Network
2. The importance of scientific collaboration addressing regional problems by biophysical, biotechnological and environmental approaches through defining joint postgraduate degrees. Prof. Hamid Mobasheri, Member of IAP, and ISC, University s of Tehran
3. The mission, vision, objectives and activities of the Network Ms. Ani Gyurjinyan, Project Manager of the Network
4. Innovation within the Framework of UNESCO/UNITWIN Network Postgraduate Program, discussion on education curriculum set within the UNESCO/UNITWIN Network" – Prof. Mary-Hrachoohi Boghosian, Head of Research and Innovation Department of the Network, Armenia
5. Expansion of the scientific cooperation and collaboration of the network to address the Joint/sharing postgraduate degrees and conducting research projects using the expertise and facilities of the academic and institutions’ members of the network. Prof. Iqbal Alam, Jamia Hamdard University, India.
6. Widening the Network’s activity in Minor Asian region by establishing regional centers in Iran for promoting the effective organization of the Network’s activities Prof. Sinerik Ayrapetyan
7. The necessity of collaborative education and research under the support of the UNESCO/UNITWIN NETWORK to train postgraduate students by academic members of the network acting as co-supervisor and advisor either remotely or in person. Prof. Kusal Das, BLDE University and Indian Society of Physiology, India.
8. Improving Biophysical Postgraduate Education in the framework of the UNESCO/UNITWIN NETWORK, adapting to modern problems of Biotechnology and Environmental Health Control due to new demands of Pandemic Prof. Sinerik Ayrapetyan.
9. The research activities, and expertise of members of academic as well as collaborations of the biology department with other departments to fulfill interdisciplinary approaches and the importance of the Semnan University in the region and involvement in the documentation of the desert plantation, insects and control. Dr Abolmaali, Head of biology Department of Biology, Semnan University.
The outcome of the meeting was a memorandum of understanding between The UNESCO UNITWIN Network on Research and Postgraduate Education in Biophysics, Biotechnology and Environmental Health, Semnan University and Iranian Biology Society. The MoU can be found here
More information can be found on the official website of the symposium
For administrative assistance please contact us by our e-mail address email@example.com