In 1996 the Biophysics Center of Armenian NAS was awarded the status of UNESCO Chair in Life Sciences and was reorganized into Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center of the Ministry of Education and Science of the RA.
The purpose of the Chair is to promote cooperative research, advanced training and exchange of information in neurosciences, biophysics, environmental sciences, biotechnology and biomedical engineering in Armenia and worldwide to facilitate the collaboration between high-level, internationally recognized researchers and the local scientific community.
In collaboration with different international organizations UNESCO Chair organizes regular international UNESCO seminars on actual problems of Life Sciences with participation of leading scientists from different countries.
UNESCO Chair in Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center has made agreements with UNESCO Office and Stony Brooke University, NY on staff and student exchange.
In 2017 UNESCO has approved the creation of “UNESCO/UNITWIN Interregional Network on PhD Education and Research in Biophysics, Biotechnology and Environmental Health” initiated by UNESCO Chair at Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center.
The Network is organized in partnership with:
- UNESCO Chair in Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center (Armenia, Yerevan)*
- National Polytechnic University of Armenia (Armenia, Yerevan)
- Union of Advanced Technology Enterprises (Armenia, Yerevan)
- Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia, Moscow)
- Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology (Ukraine, Kiev)
- UNESCO Chair– Institute for Problems of Cryobiology and Cryomedicine of NAS of Ukraine (Ukraine, Kharkov)
- Ivan Beritashvili Center of Experimental Biomedicine (Georgia, Tbilisi)
- UNESCO Chair – University of Tehran (Iran, Tehran)
- Mashhad University of Medical Sciences (Iran, Mashhad)
- Maragheh University (Iran, Maragheh)
- Istanbul Medeniyet University (Turkey, Ankara)
- Jamia Hamdard University (India, Delhi)
- BLDE SHRI B M Patil Medical College Hospital & Research Center (India, Karnataka)
- University of Southampton (UK, Southampton)
- Institute for Health and the Environment, University at Albany (USA, Albany)
*Collaboration with Stony Brook University (USA)
The Network provides PhD program, which is partially borrowed from PhD educational program of Institute for Health and the Environment of University at Albany (USA) and Graduate School of Biological Sciences at Southampton University (UK). The courses are conducted in English. Theoretical courses (core and supporting) will be conducted by a team of leading lecturers from international universities. PhD students will have the opportunity to conduct a part of their dissertation in laboratories of partner universities.